DVLA: 0300 790 6802

Call the DVLA on 0300 790 6802 between the hours of 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm Saturdays to discuss your vehicle registration, SORNS, driving licenses, medical issues or driving tests.

DVLA Contact Numbers: 0300 790 6802

Helpline UK Contact Number International Number
Vehicle Tax and SORN 0300 790 6802 +44 300 790 6802
Driving Licences and Applications 0300 790 6801 +44 300 790 6801
Vehicle Registration and V5C Certificates 0300 790 6802 +44 300 790 6802
Driving and Medical Issues 0300 790 6806 +44 300 790 6806
Driving Tests and Theory Test 0300 200 1188 +44 300 200 1188
MOT – DVSA 0300 123 9000 +44 300 123 9000
Complaints 0345 015 4033 +44 345 015 4033

Vehicle Tax and SORN: 0300 790 6802

The DVLA is the agency that is responsible for ensuring that all vehicles in the UK are taxed. There are several ways that you are able to pay your vehicle tax including online, by calling the DVLA contact number on 0300 790 6802, or at a local post office. In order to tax your vehicle you will need the reminder that you have been sent by the DVLA (V11) and your log book (V5C). If you have only just purchased your vehicle then you will need the new keeper’s slip (V5C/2) from the log book of the old owner. If you think that you may not have the documentation that you need then you can call the DVLA phone number.

If you need to make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), then this can be done by calling the DVLA customer service number on 0300 790 6802. If you need to take your vehicle off road or you want to break it down for parts then you will need to declare it as SORN. The SORN cannot be transferred to another person. If you sell a vehicle the DVLA needs to be notified and you will receive confirmation that this sale has been recorded within a few weeks. Any questions regarding the need to make a SORN should be directed to the DVLA support department.

Tax Your Vehicle

There is an automated service available via phone that you can use to tax your vehicle. To access this service, call the DVLA phone on 0300 790 6802. Automated services are available 24-hours a day, while live support is provided Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm, and Saturday, 8am to 2pm. You will get all the details that you need from your V11 form or your log book (V5C). If you call the DVLA to tax your vehicle you will be able to make payment via credit or debit card. Other payment methods can only be used when making payment in-person.

If you choose to tax your vehicle online then you will be able to make your payments via monthly direct debit. You can also choose this option when you tax your vehicle at the post office. If you want to find out what the current rate of tax is for your vehicle or what documents will be needed then this information can be found by calling the DVLA telephone number and speaking directly with a support agent. This information will of course be needed before attempting to make a tax payment on your vehicle.

Make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)

If you are not going to be keeping your vehicle on a public road or driving it, you are able to make a Statutory Off Road Notification, also known as a SORN. The SORN will mean that you do not have to pay tax on your vehicle while it is not being used. If you have received a vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) then you will need the 16 digit number that is on this letter. Please bear in mind that this code can only be used once. If your vehicle is not due to be taxed soon then you can use the 11 digit number which will be found on your log book (V5C). If you need any help with the SORN process then you can phone DVLA on 0300 123 4321 for more information.

If you do not want to tax or insure your vehicle because you are not going to be using it then you need to declare that it is off the road. There are some conditions about making a SORN that you will need to be aware of. If you have any queries you should contact the DVLA because there are consequences if you make an incorrect declaration. If you do not have a SORN then your vehicle must be taxed and insured. If you do not have a SORN in place then you will be fined £80. You may face a separate fine for having a vehicle that is not insured. If you have any questions about a SORN then you should contact DVLA customer services immediately.

You can visit the DVLA website to check the SORN status of your vehicle. You can also make a SORN application online by filling out the form and entering all the information that is required. You can also make your application by phone by calling the DVLA customer services contact number on 0300 123 4321 which is open 24 hours a day. You can also complete the V890 application form and submit this by post. The form should be mailed to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR. However you make your application, if you are due a refund you will receive a cheque in the post within 6 weeks.

Check If a Vehicle Is Taxed

If you have any questions that the automated system does not answer then you can call the DVLA contact number on 0300 790 6802. The call centre is open six days a week. You can use the email function that is available on the DVLA website. This system will let you choose the topic of your enquiry so it can be dealt with quickly. The third option is to use the online system to gather this information. Simply use the form found here to enter the Registration Number, Vehicle Make, and VC5 document reference number (optional): https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk.

Cancel Vehicle Tax and Get a Refund

If you have sold your car or it is not going to be used and you have declared it SORN then you may be due a refund on the tax that you have paid. Payments will be made within six weeks and you should contact customer services if you have not received your refund in this time. If you have received a cheque in the wrong name then you should return the cheque to the DVLA with a letter asking for it to be issued in the right name. If you have received a refund cheque that was issued in the wrong name, the original cheque should be returned to: Refund Section, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AL

When you sell your vehicle it is up to the new owners to tax it or declare it as SORN. Even if you give your car to a member of your family you will still need to call the DVLA phone number on 0300 790 6802 and let them know that you have transferred ownership. The new owner a car will receive the log book (V5C) when the DVLA have received notification that ownership has changed and the seller will receive a refund of road tax if one is due. You will also receive a refund if you inform the DVLA that you have scrapped your car or that it is off the road.

Pay Your Vehicle Tax by Direct Debit

If you pay your vehicle tax online or at a post office then you will have the choice to pay by monthly direct debit. There will be a 5% surcharge if you choose to pay a monthly basis or make two payment six months apart. There is no charge if you pay the whole year’s tax in one go. If you want to make any changes to your direct debit then you can call the DVLA contact number on 0300 790 6802 and inform them of this. You will also need to inform the DVLA of any other changes such as name and address and this can also be done over the phone. If you wish to cancel a direct debit payment, contact the DVLA support department as soon as possible.

Tax Your Vehicle without A V11 Reminder

If you have not received a V11 reminder then you may still be able to tax your car if you call the DVLA contact number on 0300 123 4321. You may need the details from the VC5 log book if you have one of these for your car. If you have only just purchased your car then the details you will need will be on the new keepers supplement. You can tax your car using the automated system that is available when you call the DVLA. The 24-hour tax service can be accessed by calling the DVLA number on 0300 123 4321. You can also tax your car online or at the post office by using these details. To tax your vehicle online, visit: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax.

Change Your Vehicle’s Tax Class

Certain changes to your vehicle can impact the amount of tax that is due to be paid. Changes to the engine size, fuel type, number of seats, and more can change your tax amount. To find out whether or not changes you have made to your vehicle are going to impact your tax amount, call the DVLA customer service phone number on 0300 790 6802. You may find it helpful to view the current tax tables, which can be viewed online here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables. However, in most cases, it is best to speak directly with a DVLA support agent when determining how certain changes are going to change the amount of vehicle tax that you pay.

Driving Licences and Applications: 0300 790 6801

If you have any queries about your driving licence, then you should call the DVLA telephone number on 0300 790 6801. The licensing customer services department is open between 8 am and 7 pm Monday to Friday and between 8 am and 2 pm on Saturday. You can also contact them by post but you will have to wait longer for a reply if you choose this contact method. The phone number and address will be different for Northern Ireland than for the rest of the UK. You can also contact the DVLA by the email service which is available on the website.

There are a number of queries that DVLA customer services can help you with, including upgrading your licence from an automatic licence to a manual one. You will have to take a new driving test before this can be done but DVLA customer services can also help you with booking this test. If you want to upgrade your licence to be able to drive a minibus or motorhome then the DVLA will also be able to help you with this by providing information on how this can be done.

Change Your Address on Your Driving Licence

You need to inform the DVLA of any changes to your driving licence immediately as you could be fined £1000 if you fail to do this. This includes a change of address. If you have any queries about the changes that you need to report and how to go about this then you can phone the DVLA contact number. It is possible to submit changes online. The change form can be accessed from the following webpage: https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence. Should you have questions about how to complete or submit the form, call the DVLA phone on 0300 790 6801 and speak with a support agent.

The DVLA will also need to be notified if you change your name or gender. There is a form that you can complete to notify the DVLA of any changes to your driving license. This will be form D1 if you drive a car or motorbike or form D2 if you drive a lorry or bus. You will have to send your old licence off with this form and you should receive your replacement licence within three weeks. You can contact DVLA customer services if you have been waiting longer than this and they will be able to check the status of your application.

View or Share Your Driving Licence Information

You are able to view information about your driving licence online and this is something that the DVLA can help you with. You are able to check things such as how many points you have on your licence and when these points are due to expire. You are also to share this information with other parties such as car hire companies. To do this you will need a check code. This code can be obtained from the DVLA and you will need to provide information including your driving licence number and National Insurance number. You can call the DVLA contact number on 0300 790 6801 if you have any questions about this process.

Replace a Licence That Has Been Lost, Stolen or Damaged

You will need to inform the DVLA as soon as possible if your licence has been lost or stolen. If you suspect that your license has been stolen then you will also need to inform the police. If you do find the original licence after you have requested a replacement then you will need to send your old license to the DVLA. You are also able to apply for a replacement licence online or by post. If you do locate a lost licence at a later time, it should be mailed to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB.

Licenses that have your photograph on them will need to be renewed every ten years so that the photograph on them is current. There will be a fee payable to renew your licence. You will receive a notification when your licence needs to be renewed. A renewal form will need to be completed and this can either be taken to your local post office or sent to the DVLA via post. If you need to request a form then this can be done by calling the DVLA telephone number on 0300 790 6801. Customer services will also be able to help you with any queries you may have.

Track Your Driving Licence Application

If you have already applied for a licence, you can track its progress. In most cases, licenses are received one week after they are applied for. However, the process can sometimes take longer. You will need your Government Gateway ID and password if you wish to track online. Online tracking can be done by signing in and completing the form found here: https://www.gov.uk/track-your-driving-licence-application. Any questions or problems can be discussed with the DVLA support team. Dial the DVLA contact number on 0300 790 6801 to be connected with a customer service agent.

Apply for Your First Provisional Driving Licence

If you have never held a licence before, you will need to contact the DVLA to apply for a provisional license. There are some requirements that you must meet before you are able to apply for a license. You need to be at least 15 years and 9 months old and you have to be able to read a number plate from a distance of 20 metres. If you normally wear glasses then you should wear them when driving and you can do your eye test when wearing these glasses. You must be able to prove where you have lived for the last three years and produce one other form of identification. There is a fee which will need to be paid and this payment can be made by credit or debit card. You are also able to make an application for a provisional license online.

If you have any questions about applying for a provisional license, call the DVLA customer service department on 0300 790 6801 and an advisor will be able to answer these. They can also provide you with guidance when filling in the form so you can be sure it has been done correctly before you send it off. Making sure that everything is correct on the form before it is sent to the DVLA can avoid delays in the future so if there is anything you are not sure of then it is better to check. In addition to being able to apply online and via mail, it is also possible to apply at a participating post office location.

Order Forms Online from DVLA

The DVLA provides a long list of forms that can be printed directly from their website. These can be viewed by visiting: https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms. If you have questions regarding the specific forms that you need to complete and mail in, call the DVLA contact number on 0300 790 6801. If you are not able to download and print forms, most forms can be mailed directly to your home. To request that a form be mailed to you, call the DVLA telephone number and request the form number(s) that you need. To report problems with online forms or mailed forms, contact DVLA.

Changing Your Address on Your Driving Licence

If you need to change your address on your driving licence then it is important that you do this as soon as possible. Having the right address on your documents ensures that the vehicle registration remains current and that the tax is valid. When you change your address on your licence, your log book will also need to be updated. If you pay for your vehicle tax via direct debit then the DVLA will need to be notified of your change of address so they know where to send the reminders. The same process should be followed if there are any other changes that need to be made such as a change of name.

Vehicle Registration and V5C Certificates: 0300 790 6802

There are a number of ways that you can contact the DVLA regarding your vehicle registration and these include post, email, and calling the DVLA contact number on 0300 790 6802. The email function can be accessed from the DVLA website by filling in a contact form and then sending it securely. If your query is urgent then phoning DVLA customer services is your best option because in many cases your query can be resolved with just one phone call. By post, the agency can be contacted by sending mail to: Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR.

Get a Log Book (VC5)

If your log book has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed then you should inform the DVLA of this immediately. You should also contact them if you have not received the log book for a new vehicle that you have recently purchased. There will be a charge that is payable if the log book needs to be replaced because it has been lost or damaged. You can apply for a replacement log book by post by downloading a copy of the form from the DVLA website and sending the completed form to them by post. The cost of replacing a VC5 is currently £25.

You will only be able to request a new log book if you are the registered keeper of the vehicle in question. An application for a new log book can be made over the phone by calling the DVLA telephone number on 0300 790 6802, and you will be able to make payment for this by debit or credit card. If you find the original log book after a replacement has been ordered then you will need to send the old one back to the DVLA. When applying for a replacement over the phone, the new log book should arrive within 5 days. When applying at a post office, the new log book can take up to 6 weeks to arrive.

Get Vehicle Information from DVLA

Drivers and other authorised individuals can contact DVLA to request information about a vehicle. This can include things such as whether the vehicle is taxed or whether it has been registered as being off the road. If you want information about a particular vehicle then you will need to know the model of the car and the registration plate. If you are calling the DVLA number about the tax of the vehicle then you will need to give the database time to update and so it is recommended that you wait at least five days since any changes were made. You should call straightaway if you suspect that a vehicle is not taxed.

There are a number of enquiries that the DVLA customer services can help you with:

  • Expiry date of vehicle tax
  • Expiry date of MOT
  • Date of first registration
  • Current SORN status
  • Colour of vehicle
  • Engine size of vehicle
  • Year of manufacture
  • Information about CO2 emissions
  • Current tax rate of the vehicle

There are two main ways that you can request information from the DVLA, either online or by calling the DVLA contact number on 0300 790 6802. There is currently a beta method in place for requesting information online that is still being tested. However, you should still be able to use this method when you go online. For more information, visit: https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla. Most of the information that the DVLA can provide is available by calling them but there are certain things which are only available online so it is a good idea to check before you make the call.

If you want to check whether the details you have been given about the MOT history of a vehicle are correct then this is something that can be checked with the DVLA. You will need to know the make and model of the car and what the registration number is if you want to make this kind of check. It is also important to remember that the DVLA can only provide details of MOT results from 2005 onwards. If you want to find out the MOT history of a vehicle that has recently had a personlised registration then you may have to wait for a few weeks after the changes have been made to ask for information about MOT history.

A new service that the DVLA has introduced allows a person’s driving history to be checked by prospective employers and certain other individuals. This cannot be done without the permission of the driver as the person that is doing the checking will need the last 8 digits of the drivers driving license and a check code that is only issued to the driver. This check code can only be used once and must be used within 21 days of it being requested. If another check is needed after the code has been used then the driver will need to contact the DVLA to request a new code.

If you try to request information without the permission of the driver then this is a criminal offence so you should always ensure that you have this permission. If you are making a request over the phone then the customer services agent may ask to speak to the driver. You can call the DVLA contact centre on 0300 790 6802 to make a request for information between 8 am and 7 pm Monday to Friday and between 8 am and 2 pm on Saturday. If you make a request for information online then you will need the check code that has been provided by the driver.

Tell DVLA You’ve Bought or Sold a Vehicle

You will need to inform DVLA when you no longer own a vehicle, or you buy a vehicle as either a registered keeper or as a motor trader. If you’ve already sent your log book (V5C) by post, you will not be able to use the online reporting service. Otherwise, you can visit the following page to start the process online: https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle. The online reporting service is available from 7am to 7pm. If you need assistance with using the online system or want to make a report using a different method, DVLA contact is recommended. Call the DVLA phone number on 0300 790 6802 to talk with an agent.

Change Your Name and Address on Your V5C

You must update your vehicle log book (V5C) if you make a change to your address or name. Typically, it’s free to update it. Note that you can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t inform DVLA when your address changes. If you do not update your address on file, your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) and any vehicle tax refunds will be mailed to the incorrect address. If you have lost your log book and need to change your address, download and fill in an application (V62) and then mail it along with a cheque or postal order for £25 made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’ to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. If the new log book hasn’t arrived after 6 weeks, call the DVLA customer service number on 0300 790 6802.

Register a Vehicle

UK residents usually have to register a car or any other vehicle as soon as they have purchased it, built it, made changes to or modified it, or imported it. To do this, you will need to fill out the necessary forms and return then to DVLA. The exact form(s) needed will depend on the specific circumstances. To enquire about the specific forms for your exact situation, phone the DVLA support number on 0300 790 6802 and talk with an advisor. The DVLA may need to inspect your vehicle in order to make sure that the vehicle does exist and you are the owner, and/or to update their records because of changes to the vehicle. If this is necessary, you will be contacted by a DVLA representative.

Get a Private (Personalised) Number Plate

All drivers in the UK are eligible to apply for personalised, private number plates which can be printed with your choice of letters and numbers. In order to receive a personalised number plate, a fee must be paid, and you will also need to obtain a certificate of entitlement. While every attempt to fulfill your bespoke order will be made, it is important to contact DVLA by calling contact number 0300 790 6802 in the first instance as there are some restrictions involved. For example, each custom number plate must be unique, so you cannot order a copy of a custom plate that is already in use by someone else. The DVLA can advise you as to whether your desired personalised plate is already in use by another driver.

When buying a personalised number plate from the DVLA, you are actually purchasing the right to assign that particular number plate to your vehicle. The vehicle may be registered in the name of the driver or a person whom he or she has chosen, known as the ‘nominee’. Obtaining a personalised plate involves several steps. First, the customer purchases the personalised number from the DVLA. Next, the registration number will need to be assigned to the vehicle. Finally, the DVLA will make the bespoke plate. Certificates of entitlement for personalised plates are renewable in 10-year increments.

DVLA customer service support can provide information the cost of personalised plates. Additionally, they can assist with queries on purchasing or displaying private plates, finding your nearest number plate supplier, and assigning or removing a registration number from a vehicle. Dial the DVLA phone number on 0300 790 6802 to enquire about how to transfer a personalised plate or what to do if you no longer wish to use a personalised plate that you have purchased.

Put a Registration Number on a Vehicle

Drivers who have just purchased a new car should call the DVLA telephone number on 0300 790 6802 to enquire about taxing their vehicle. To tax your new vehicle, you will need to provide the DVLA with your V5C logbook and the new keeper supplement slip (V5C/2). For vehicles registered in your name, you will need to provide the 11-digit reference number, and for those registered in another person’s name, the 12-digit reference number should be provided. V11 tax reminders cannot be used as documentation by sellers. The vehicle tax process can be completed by phoning the DVLA contact center or visiting the DVLA website. It can also be done in-person at any post office.

Every vehicle is taxed at a specific rate. If you do not know the correct tax rate for your vehicle, the DVLA can help you with this over the phone. Call 0300 790 6802 to connect with a DVLA support agent. You can also calculate your vehicle’s appropriate tax rate using the information provided on the DVLA website. Provided that your car is properly registered, you can calculate the correct tax rate based on the date it was registered. For vehicles registered before 1 March 2001, engine size is used to determine the tax rate. For those registered after this date, the vehicle’s fuel type and CO2 emissions are used to calculate the rate.

Certain vehicles qualify to have the taxes waived. These include all vehicles made prior to 1 January 1976, vehicles driven or used by disabled persons, powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters. Additionally, electric or steam-powered vehicles, mowing machines and industrial tractors are exempt from taxes.

New Vehicles

When buying a new vehicle, your dealer will typically register it on your behalf. However, as this is not always the case, you should ask the dealer directly whether they will handle the registration process for you or whether you are expected to do it yourself. While most dealers will gladly complete the process for you, there are a few dealers who might refuse. If it turns out that you need to register your vehicle yourself, you can do so over the phone by contacting the DVLA customer service department on 0300 790 6802. You can also do this by post using form V62. This form can be downloaded from the DVLA website and is also available on request at any post office.

Used Vehicles

Occasionally, registering a used vehicle can bring added challenges compared to registering a new vehicle. For used vehicles, if a V5C certificate exists, you need to transfer the certificate from the old owner to the new one. To do this, the seller should complete part 6 of the form, and the new owner should complete section 10. The signatures of the seller and the new owner are both required. The completed form should be sent to the DVLA, and updated documentation will be available in approximately four weeks.

Take a Registration Number off a Vehicle

If you have sold your vehicle recently or taken it off the road then you will need to inform the DVLA so that their vehicle tax can be cancelled. The cost to remove a registration number from a vehicle is £80. If you have full months of tax left then you will receive a refund. The DVLA will also need to be informed if your vehicle has been written off by an insurance company. Other situations where the DVLA will need to be notified include if the vehicle has been scrapped, exported out of the country or it no longer needs to be taxed. For help with removing a vehicle registration, call the DVLA helpline number on 0300 790 6802.

Change Vehicle Details on a V5C

There are several changes that need to be reported to the DVLA including changes to colour, cylinder capacity, engine size, chassis, fuel type, replaced or modified bodyshell, weight of vehicle, the seating capacity, vehicle identification number, change in the wheel plan or the chassis number. If you need any more information about making changes to the V5C then you should call the DVLA telephone enquiries number on 0300 790 6802 and speak to their customer services department as they will be able to answer any questions that you may have.

Some changes that are made to a vehicle will mean that it is now in a different tax class and the DVLA will need to be informed about this. These changes include if you have increased or decreased the size of the engine, the type of fuel that the vehicle takes has changed and if the use of the car has changed. Owners of goods vehicles will need to notify the DVLA if the weight of the vehicle changes and owners of buses will need to notify a change in the number of seats. If you have not paid enough tax then there is a change that your car could become impounded and so it is important that you contact DVLA for advice if there is anything you are unsure about.

Take a Vehicle Out of the UK

If you are planning on taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for a period of 12 months or more, you’ll need to inform DVLA before you leave by completing and submitting the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C logbook. After, you will need to mail it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Be sure to include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and would like for your vehicle tax refund mailed to your new address. Retain the remainder of your V5C registration certificate, as you might need this in order to register your vehicle in your new home country. A refund on any vehicle tax that you are owed will arrive in 4 to 6 weeks. If your refund has not arrived by that time, call the DVLA customer care number as shown here.

Import a Vehicle into the UK

If you want to import a vehicle into the UK then there are certain rules which much be followed and you will need to call DVLA to notify them of your plans. The main things that you will need to do are:

  • Contact DVLA no later than 14 days after the car has arrived in the UK
  • Register the car with the DVLA and make sure that it is taxed.
  • Pay the VAT and duty that is payable on the car
  • Ensure that the car has been approved to be driven on UK roads

You will also need to make sure that your car is insured. Temporary import rules apply if the vehicle will be in the country for less than 6 months or if you do not live in the UK and DVLA customer services will be able to give you more advice about these rules when you contact them.

Driving and Medical Issues: 0300 790 6806

If you have a medical condition or disability that may affect your ability to drive then you must inform the DVLA immediately. There is a list of ‘notifiable’ conditions that are available by calling the phone number for DVLA. If you have previously told the DVLA about a condition which has now become worse, they will need to be notified of this change. Some examples of conditions that you may need to notify the DVLA about include epilepsy, mental health problems, and neurological conditions which includes strokes, visual impairments and physical disabilities. If you have any of these conditions then the DVLA needs to be notified immediately.

When you call the contact number for DVLA to tell them about your medical issue they will be able to let you know whether you are able to continue driving or if you need to surrender your license. They may need more information from your doctor but they will let you know if this is the case. A full list of the conditions that may prevent you from driving can be found online. If you have one of these conditions it does not necessarily mean that you will have to surrender your license as there may be certain circumstances where a short-term medical license can be granted.

When you must Tell DVLA about a Medical Condition or Disability

When it comes to medical conditions, you are not required to report everything to the DVLA. You must only make them aware of any noteworthy conditions that could impair your driving ability and/ or could hinder your safety or the safety of any others on the road. This usually includes serious medical conditions, such as mental impairments, heart conditions, and neurological conditions. Any visual restrictions, including the need to wear eyeglasses, should also be reported. Call the DVLA customer service contact number on 0300 790 6806 to speak with an agent who can provide you with a full list of notifiable disabilities.

The DVLA customer service team can also provide information regarding how certain medical conditions can impact someone’s driving ability. There are course requirements for vision. Drivers must be able to read a car plate number from a distance of 20 metres. Glasses or contact lenses are allowed. Additionally, drivers are required to meet the minimum eyesight standards for operating a motor vehicle. Currently, drivers must possess a visual acuity of a minimum decimal 0.5 measured (6/12 measured on the Snellen chart.) Adequate field of vision is also required, which may necessitate testing by an optician. Any driver who needs to report any visual problems should contact the DVLA as soon as possible.

How to Disagree with DVLA’s Decision about Your Medical Condition

In certain cases, the DVLA may require that you stop driving. If the DVLA makes this decision, they will make you aware of why they made this decision. In some situations, the non-driving period may be temporary and you will be told of when you can reapply. However, if your license has been revoked due to a medical condition, you may be asked to get your physician’s approval. If you believe the decision has been made in error, you do have the chance for an appeal. For appeals information, call the DVLA customer services contact number on 0300 790 6806 or use the online email service: https://live.email-dvla.service.gov.uk. According to the law, if you are permanently barred from driving, you are required to surrender your current license to the DVLA.

How to Reapply for a Driving Licence Following a Medical Condition

The DVLA will notify any driver whose license has been revoked or suspended due to a medical condition. The letter will include information regarding how long they must wait before reapplying. Eight weeks before the wait period is up, they may reapply. Drivers who have previously held a driving license can reapply for a new license following a recovery from their medical condition. Drivers are encouraged to speak with their MD to confirm they do meet the medical standards for driving before submitting their application. If the application is denied, the DVLA will post a letter to the applicant with their decision.

If your license is currently revoked and you wish to apply for a new driving license, you can contact the DVLA customer support phone number on 0300 790 6806 for instructions and answers to any questions related to medical conditions. Customer service representatives are available Monday to Friday from 8am to 5:30pm, as well as Saturday from 8am to 1pm. If you have diabetes and have received a short-term medical license, you can renew it for free online by visiting: https://www.gov.uk/renew-medical-driving-license.

If you wish to reapply for a car or motorcycle license, you must complete a D1 application form, as well as the form for your specific medical condition. Completed applications should be sent to:

Drivers Medical Group
SA99 1TU

You also have the option of faxing your application to the DVLA contact number on 0845 850 0095. If you wish to reapply for a lorry, coach, or bus license, you must submit a D2 application form. If you are between the ages of 45 and 65, you must also complete and submit a D4 form if you have not done so in the past 5 years. You may submit this form with your D2 form.

Driving Tests and Theory Test: 0300 200 1188

Any driver who wishes to obtain a driving license will need to first take and pass both the theory and road tests as administered by the DVLA. You may schedule to take the tests by calling the DVLA phone on 0300 200 1188 or by using their only system. Once scheduled, you must take the time to prepare for your tests. If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment or if you wish to change it for any reason, you should call the DVLA support department to guarantee a new testing appointment and reimbursement of any fees you have incurred. Once a driving license has been received, it should be renewed every 10 years to avoid any problems while driving. Renewal is fairly easy and can be processed upon payment of any fees.

Theory Test

The purpose of the theory test is to obtain a provisional license. UK law requires this type of license before anyone can even begin to learn how to operate a vehicle. A provisional license is required for those who wish to operate a motorbike that carries a L-plate and measures up to 125cc. This can be obtained by taking the theory test. Any other drivers may also operate on other types of vehicle by first obtaining a provisional license, granted that there is a fully licensed driver in the vehicle at all times. For any questions about this process, you may contact DVLA customer services by calling 0300 200 1188 Monday – Friday, 8am to 4pm, or visit their website.

There are different fees associated with any driving tests taken in the UK. To take the theory test, the DVLA charges £23, while the driving test costs £62. This amount goes up to £75 if the test is taken during the weekend. Disqualified drivers who need to take an extended driving test are also subject to higher than normal fees. This amount is £124 during the week and goes up to £150 during the weekend. For those who wish to operate specialty vehicles such as buses, coaches, minibuses, and lorries, they must also pay specific testing fees. To obtain the most current information on costs and charges, you should telephone DVLA.

You may also contact the DVLA support department by calling 0300 200 1188 if you wish to inquire about refunds. Driving applicants may be eligible for out-of-pocket expense refunds if their scheduled appointments are canceled directly by the DVLA within 3 days of the appointment. This may include Saturdays but not any public holidays. To obtain a refund, the appropriate form must be filled out and returned to the DVLA. Once submitted, the DVLA typically processes their refunds in a timely manner. Contact the DVLA if you are waiting on a refund you haven’t received or for any general questions.

Practical Driving Test

Once you have obtained your provisional license by taking the theory test, you may contact the DVLA at 0300 200 1122 to schedule a time when you can take the full driving test. If you have not made any changes to your name on your provisional driving license photocard, the examiner will simply forward your information to the DVLA including your theory test certificate. If your name has changed since you have received your provisional license, you are required to mail in your license and any other required documentation to this address: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BN. This also applies to those who do not have a photocard and carry only a paper license.

In order to schedule a driving test, drivers need to contact the DVLA customer service phone number by calling 0300 200 1122 or 0300 200 1133 (Welsh), or by contacting them through their online portal. Email address: customerservices@dvsa.gov.uk may also be used. Make sure to have the necessary information ready at hand when you contact the DVLA. This includes your UK driving license number, a debit or credit card, and possibly a personal reference number for a driving instructor. For more specific details on scheduling a driving test, visit: https://www.gov.uk/topic/driving-tests-and-learning-to-drive.

Once drivers have passed their practical driving test, they may contact the DVLA to receive their full driving license. It typically takes approximately 3 weeks for the official license to be processed and mailed out. If you had a photocard of your provisional license and have not changed your name since, your driving test certificate will be forwarded to the DVLA directly. If you have made changes to your name and/or if you carry a paper provisional license, additional documentation will be required for you to submit. Contact the DVLA for more information. Otherwise, you may send your documents to the DVLA at DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BN.

To make changes to a scheduled theory or driving test or if you wish to obtain a refund of your fees, you may call the DVLA customer service telephone number on 0300 200 1122. Know, however, that the DVLA requires a 3 working day minimum notice in order to process a full refund. Working days do not include Sundays and public holidays. If you need any type of assistance with cancelling either a scheduled theory or driving test appointment, call the DVLA customer support team. Their office hours are Monday to Friday from 8am until midday. Online cancellations are also available as long as proper information is provided.

MOT – DVSA: 0300 123 9000

The UK requires all drivers in the UK to have their vehicle MOT tested. This is generally required by the third anniversary of vehicle registration or if the vehicle is older than 3 years, each year on the anniversary of the last MOT test conducted. MOT testing screens vehicles that are not up to road safety and environmental standards. There is a fine of up to £1,000 when drivers are found operating vehicles that do not have current and valid MOT. Call the DVLA helpline number on 0300 123 9000 for more information on how to have their vehicles MOT tested. Live support is available Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm.

There are three main vehicle categories for MOT testing. These will determine when a vehicle needs to have an MOT. To get more information, contact the DVLA or follow the guidelines below as listed.

  • Newly registered vehicles – These vehicles are required to have MOT testing done by the third anniversary of initial registration.
  • Vehicles over three years old – These must have regular MOT testing done by the anniversary of its last MOT. These vehicles include motorcycles with or without sidecars, three-wheeled vehicles, eight passenger automobiles, caravans, quads, dual-purpose vehicles, and others. Refer to the DVLA for more information.
  • Exceptions – Other vehicles not listed above such as private passenger vehicles, playbuses, taxis, ambulances, and others must get MOT tested within a single year.

Remember that you may incur a £1,000 fee if you are found to be driving a vehicle without a valid MOT. Prosecution is also a possibility. The only exempt situations are when a vehicle is being driven for repair or if it is being driven to obtain a scheduled MOT testing. For more information on this, contact DVLA directly.

There are fees associated with MOT testing to cover for different types of vehicles. The amounts range from £29.65 to 124.50 for a 200cc motorcycle to a 16-passenger class 5 vehicle respectively. This may include seatbelt installation checks. MOT testing fees also do not need any additional VAT to be processed. For questions on your specific vehicle fees, contact the DVLA via their phone number.

You may also call the DVLA in the event of lost or damaged MOT certificates. Contact the DVLA customer service to obtain a number for the local MOT center closest to you. Afterwards, you will be required to provide your vehicle’s registration number and log book V5C reference number. As long as all the information is correct and updated, there will be no problem processing a new replacement MOT certificate. Replacement costs may be either £10 or half the entire MOT test fee, whichever one is the lesser of the two. Phone the DVLA hotline on 0300 123 9000 for more information, as there are different fees for other types of vehicles as well such as for heavy goods and public service vehicles.

Complaints: 0345 015 4033

If you are not happy with the service that DVLA has provided to you, the first step will be to contact the department that you’ve been dealing with. At the time of contact, you will need to provide some information, including:

  • Your name and address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your driver number
  • Your vehicle registration number
  • Any reference number provided during previous correspondence

If you’ve made a complaint to the correct department but the problem hasn’t been resolved, the next step will be to make a make a formal complaint. This can be done via email or by writing to: Complaints Team, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL. If you’re not satisfied with the outcome of a formal complaint, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman by calling 0345 015 4033 or by sending an email to: phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk.

Welsh speakers are encouraged to provide the DVLA customer service department with any feedback that may help the department improve overall. Such feedback should be directed to the Welsh Language Unit Manager, who can be reached by calling the DVLA contact number directly or sending an email to wynne.jones@dvla.gsi.gov.uk. Otherwise, the customer support department will handle any complaints regarding services provided to Welsh speakers. If you wish to make a complaint, contact DVLA support during their weekday working hours of Monday to Friday between 8am until 4pm.

Driving Services For Everyone